So after having spent about 6 months now posting on a baby-related chat board, I have kept my opinion to myself just about every. single. time. I've seen a "name poll". (Lemme explain what I mean by "name poll", just in case you don't get it from, you know, the words themselves... A woman will post the name she is considering for her unborn child, soliciting the opinions of virtual friends and strangers.) Because I really try to keep by the old adage If you can't say anything nice...
These names are bad. So bad. I cringe, grimace, wince, gasp, and laugh at 99.9% of them. (I actually can't think of a single name polled in the past six months that I have not barfed on, but hey, I'll give the benefit of the doubt.)
I reached my breaking point today. Some ninny wants to name her daughter Bryce. She polled to see if people feel it's "a boy's name or a girl's name". Are ya kidding me?
Here are some other gems (FYI they are All Girls' Names):
Marina (as in the place to dock a boat??)
Michaelyn (pronounced McKaylyn)
M'Kalyn (pronounced Mah- Kay-Lyn)
Mckaylyn (I am guessing pronounced the same way as Michaelyn, though w/ these broads one never knows)
Camden (as in New Jersey)
Maguire (as in Jerry)
Ilse (pronounced El-sah- WTF?)
Sklya
Lynea
Talia
Carlyle
Keegan
Findley
And here are the "classic" ones, the ones that were never even remotely OK to begin with, but after having been used 7.3 million times in 2006 alone, have become like fingernails on a blackboard:
Madison
Addison
Taylor
Carter
Hadley
Hattie
Darby
Peyton
Camryn
Hayden, Ayden, Cayden, Jayden (and of course, Haiden, Aiden, Caiden, Jaiden, Hadyn, Cadyn, Aydin, Jaydin...)
Braylynn (Braelyn, Braelynne, Braylin, Braylen, Braelenne....)
McKenna
McKenzie (Mackenzi, Mekenzie, Makenzy, Macenzie, McKenzy, Mackenzey...)
Mikayla (McKayla, Mykala, Mykayla, McKalah)
Madelyn (Madilyn, Maddelyn, Madelynne, Maddeline, Madelynne...)
Layla (Laila, Laliah, Laylah...)
Piper
Riley
Miley (Mylee, MyLee, Mailee)
Ciara (pronounced like See-air-ah, Char-ah, Key-ear-ah, Sea-are-ah, Kere-ah, Ky-rah, Shy-rah, Sear-ah, Key-rah, or Chee-air-ah. You chose.)
I compiled this list from one day's worth of posts. NOTICE-- That I didn't even touch the boys' names. My head hurt.
If you haven't seen enough, you might enjoy this website.
Thursday, July 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment