Friday, July 28, 2006

Can't believe I have Yuck-Mouth

Let me start by reminding that I have never had a cavity growing up. Not one. I loved the dentist, bc/ every time I would go, they would compliment me on my healthy pearly whites. I basked in the praise.

Then I turned 30 and they started singing a different tune.

I went in January and they found the beginnings of two small cavities. I was appalled, dismayed, and disbelieving. I demanded that they fill them ASAP, even though they said they could wait and see how they looked in six months, bc/ the thought of tooth-rot in my mouth was just too skeevy. After they were filled, I decided it wasn't really tooth-rot per se, just an opportunistic dentist trying to make a buck off me with his expensive elective procedures.

I went back last night and guess what? They found THREE new cavities. I could not believe it. "How has this happened to me?", I asked. "What am I doing wrong?"

Apparently, as the dentist kindly explained, I have been brushing my teeth too well over the past three decades. Yes, that's right. I have been brushing so much, with such vigor, on my mission to eradicate all manner of tooth-rot, that I have actually scrubbed away my gum line, exposing the root. The root, you see, does not have the protective enamel finish of the teeth and thus is much more susceptible to bacteria, plaque, and tooth-rot.

I brushed myself straight into a mouthful of tooth-rot. I cannot believe I have Yuck-Mouth. :(

No comments: