I thought that would be a great title for a post, b/c it really made me laugh. It is the name of a case in one of Dave’s law books. Ha. Hahaha! Either one alone is funny enough, but versus each other is just too brilliant. I know, I know… simple minds…
But Schwing v. Putzmeister really has nothing to do with anything I’d care to discuss. The front page of the student newspaper today featured a half-page, living color photo of a man wearing a bright red tee-shirt, with bright yellow lettering that spelled out, “No Homos Go To Heaven”. He was out on the Diag yesterday, inciting all manner of hatred and bigotry. Always pleasant on a sunny September Monday. Too bad I didn’t pass by him--- I had some special chicken parmigiana vomit in my throat that I would have loved to share with him. It would have expressed my thoughts better than any words I could have come up with.
Then I was thinking about that ass-clown that used to stand on the sidewalk outside of the foreign language building at Delaware (WTF was that building called?? I can’t believe I spent two years having every single class in there, and I can’t remember the name…). He used to stand there on the sidewalk and “preach” all manner of crap about women, sex, sluts, gays, and how we were all going to hell. He made me sick. And people would yell back at him, but that only fired him up more. That’s what happened yesterday on the Diag, according to the article. One student even tossed out the ol’ Bible verse used to condone slavery, and suggested to the “gentleman” that he should be shackled up and shipped out. (The preaching bigot was African-American.) And that’s what happens when people respond in anger to bigotry and hatred--- it begets more of the same. I have no doubt that the student who said that is NOT a bigot or a racist. I have no doubt that he was trying to stand up AGAINST bigotry. But… jeezy-peezy already. Of COURSE you are angry. Who isn’t angry when they hear such crap? But don’t let it get your goat. Walk away and do something positive to counteract that negative, do something positive to make the world a better place.
One of the best protests I have heard of recently was when the ultimate bigot, Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist cult, came to Ann Arbor to protest a production of The Laramie Project. A local gay bar rallied the community to pledge money to be given to gay, lesbian, and transgender causes for each minute that Fred Phelps protested. The longer Phelps was out there, the more money the counter-protest raised. Ha! Hahaha! Suck it, Fred. I’ll see you in hell.
Tuesday, September 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Was it Smith Hall? Does that sound right? I totally forgot about that idiot at UD. I think it's a college campus universal: the campus bigot. In Renaissance times he would've gone by another name: The Village Idiot.
;-)
Post a Comment