Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Nice Story that I Haven't Yet Told

February 2009: Our return trip from St. Maarten was pretty crappy. I won't bore w/ the details, but in a nutshell, it involved a cranky, over-tired two-year-old, long lines that he didn't want to sit in his stroller or stand in, lots of luggage, customs checks, carseats, crowded flights, and delays that extended well beyond bedtime. So I spent about 10 hours wrangling and carrying a 32-pounder that fought me harder than a swordfish caught on a deep sea fisherman's line.

As we were landing at our final destination, I tried to buckle JD back into his seat, but he was pretty adamant that he wanted to sit on my lap. The fat bitch attendant wouldn't let him. He SCREAMED, kicked the seat in front of him, and thrashed about in protest from 40,000 feet until debarkment, about 20 minutes. I felt badly for the other people on board, but I also kind of felt like, "Take that and FUCK YOU, fat bitch attendant."

Anyway, we get off the plane and I went to the ladies'. I was devasted to see that I was bleeding, bright red blood, at 12 weeks pregnant. I met Dave at the baggage claim and burst into tears. Sobbing. I thought I was losing the baby. I kind of wasn't surprised after that horrible, physical, stressful day, but I was devastated. I couldn't stop sobbing, right in the middle of Dulles International, Baggage Carousel 4.

I finally got myself together enough for Dave to leave me on a bench while he went to get the bags. As I sat there sniveling, a woman who had been seated two rows behind me on the plane came over and said, "I know you don't know me, but I can see that you're very upset, and I was wondering if it would be alright if I prayed for you."

And I teared up all over again and squeaked, "I would like that very much."

And she sat down beside me and put her hand on my arm and prayed a kind little prayer asking God to give me peace and serentity (it was pretty generic, but I could kind of tell that she was thinking I was just overwhelmed by the screaming, thrashing toddler). And then she asked if it would be alright if she sat there with me until my husband came back.

I still tear up every time I think about that woman and how much her random kindness and grace touched me. I wish there was some way I could tell her how much it meant (and still means) to me, and to thank her. I think she embodied every nice thing about Christianity (or whatever prayerful worship a person follows), and I think God sent her to me then to remind me that He is always watching out for us, and all He wants us to do is to watch out for each other.

No comments: