Monday, April 09, 2007

Is This Not the Rudest Thing Ever?

So, a "baby gift" arrived in the mail today from one of Dave's college friends. It was a pound of some fancy pants NYC too-cool coffee, and a cute tee shirt that will fit JD in about four years. "That's a fun gift," you say, "a little something for the baby and a little something for the 'rents." Yes, I thought so, too, until I saw the card that accompanied the gift. "Dear Dave & JD, " it read.

Oh really? Soooo, do I not exist? Am I merely a non-factor not worthy of a mention on the congratulatory note, or was it an intentional slight? YouBitch.

Now, honestly, I really do try to give people the benefit of the doubt. I really do. So I went through a litany of excuses and reasons that this GiftGiver may have had... Maybe she didn't know my name. Maybe... Yeah. I was flat out of "excuses and reasons" after that. And even if she didn't know my name, she damn well knows that Dave has a wife- she was at our wedding- and she damn well knows that Dave didn't bring JD into this world without my assistance.

I just can't get over how thoughtless at best, deliberately rude at worst this is. I would never, ever, in a million years, send a congratulatory gift celebrating a family event and only shout-out to two of the three family members. Even if I didn't know the third person's name, and even if I had asked somebody *ahemDaveahem* 6,738 times to please find out for me, and somebody kept forgetting to do so, even then I would never address a card to two out of the three family members and flat-out ignore the very existence of the third. I would use some generic dorky wording, like "Congratulations Mom and Dad! We are so happy to hear your good news! Give that little one a hug and kiss from us! Love, Bitch and Bitch'sHusband". See how easy it is??

Whatever. People never cease to find new and mind-numbing ways to make my head spin. I can't wait to see what I encounter when I make my weekly trip to Meijers today...

No comments: