Thursday, April 19, 2007

Eyeballs Give Me the Willies

My friend Anna just thoroughly and completely grossed me out with her recent post on eyeball mutilation. I fucking hate eyeballs. They give me the heebiest jeebies ever. They are so gross. Just thinking about eyeballs makes my skin crawl.

So imagine my dismay when I was one of several teachers who were "recruited" by the principal to "assist" the science teacher during the annual "eyeball day" in third-grade science class.

Oh yes. The third grade science curriculum at the prestigious private boys' school where I used to teach lower school Spanish included a day devoted to disecting cow's eyeballs. Picture, if you can, the mayhem of a room full of eight year old boys set loose on a platter of eyeballs...

These little guys loved it!! I saw boys demonstrating to their friends the precise angle to slice in to make the "juice" squirt out; I saw boys turning eyeballs inside out; I saw slippery eyeballs go shooting out of small hands and roll, lopsidely, along the floor; I saw catch played with eyeballs; I even saw one boy place five eyeballs carefully, one on each finger. He grinned and waved to me, "Hi SeƱorita!!"

Oh man. They were in eyeball heaven. I just hope JD gets to go to a prestigious boys' school where he can gleefully take part in "eyeball day", too.

1 comment:

vC said...

I think you trumped me with the grossness! "Eyeball day" sounds like a nightmarish experience... I'm sure my students would *love* to subject me to something similar after yesterday's little movie experience.