Saturday, December 16, 2006

Happy One Month Birthday, JDdurino!

I can't believe you've been here for one whole month already! Excuse my cliche, but I simultaneously cannot believe you are already a month old, and yet I cannot remember a time when you were not here. I love you more than you will ever know.

We had a big month, you and me. There was always somebody here taking care of us; you spent so much time with Grammy, and Grandmom & Grandpop visited too. They all did such a good job taking care of you while I was resting and getting better. We were so lucky to have them here!! It was hard, too, because I was worried that you would forget me. But you didn't. You were just lucky that you learned early on that you have so many people who love you. When I put you to sleep at night, we talk about all the people who love JD. The list goes on...

Then I started to feel better and I learned how to take care of you myself. Your belly button appeared, we had your first bath in the bathtub, and you graduated from those annoying gowns to adorable pj's and onesies. I still worried about you being warm enough, because it is FREEZING here in stupid Michigan, and especially in our stupid apartment. I wrapped you up very tight in your fleece swaddle-me's and tried to keep a hat on you. But you often squirmed the hat off shortly thereafter.

And then the epic battle of the swaddler began. You developed a love/hate relationship with the swaddle-me. See, you were always obsessed with your hands; you were born clutching them up by your face and you have wanted them up there ever since. But you were content to let me put them down by your side when I swaddled you so you could get a good snooze without knocking yourself in the face as your arms flailed maniacally about. But then one day you wisened you to my tricks, and you realized that if I put your arms down in the swaddler, you could not have your hands up by your face. And so the battle began... You would fuss and holler if your hands were down, but if I left them out, you would fuss and holler because you kept startling yourself with your flailing appendages. There is no end to tell, because the saga continues. As I write, you are sleeping in what we call the "Hail Caesar" position; you are wearing the swaddler like a toga, with one arm out, extended high up over your head. You are so stinking CUTE it hurts my teeth.

Swaddler strife aside, you came into the world as pleasant, content, warm and snuggly as could be, and you have grown moreso every single day. You never cry, unless you need to tell me something, and you eat, sleep and play like a champ. Every day we snuggle, eat, sing, play, change clothes, and of course, change the diapie. You sleep very well at night, so Mommy and Daddy can stay rested and pleasant, too. That is the good news about formula feeding. I am so sorry that I cannot breastfeed you, baby boy. But I know that you are growing up strong, smart and healthy anyway!!

Let me tell you about some of the other cool stuff you and I have done this month... You play on your gymini and started to enjoy some tummy time; you lift your head up and look around- you are very strong!; you used your hands to remove your soothie from your mouth- I was so proud of you!!; and you use your hands to "help" mommy hold your bottle when you are eating. I take good care of your little hands by filing your sharp little nails down- you love your manis! We also started enjoying some outings to the mall and to Old Navy- you love to snooze in your travel system while Mommy and Grammy shop. Mommy is trying to get you into a daily routine, but you keep resisting her. Oh well. You're still small; there's plenty of time for structure later on. Your favorite songs are "A la ru", "Last Mango in Paris", "You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby" (Grammy's song for you), "He's My Little JD" (written and performed by Daddy); and "JD, JD, Sleepy, Sleepy" (written and performed by Mommy). Of course, we also celebrated our first Thanksgiving, and Grammy's birthday.

And finally, let me commend you on a classic bit of comedy that has kept me laughing for almost a month... We took you to the doctor's to get weighed and checked out; Daddy undressed you and took off your diaper. He slid his hand underneath your bottom to lift you up... and you pooped square in the palm of his hand!!! Nice job, son!

No comments: