Wednesday, April 19, 2006

What's The Matter with Kansas?

I was so bored at work today that I decided to pay a visit to one of my favorite Never-Fails-To-Make-Me-Shout-With-Laughter websites- www.venganza.org. Dear God I love Bobby Henderson and the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I think it is some of the best political satire since Jonathan Swift's little "proposal".

I, of course, was particularly tickled by the Bawlmer Billboard shown here… Brilliant the way they worked both "Believe" and "Hon" in! But I digress. There was also an op-ed from the Kansas City Star that I may have otherwise missed, since that publication is not yet on my daily must-read list. Here's the gist- a Kansas science teacher put a FSM sign on her classroom door, which one of the Kansas BoE members found rather disquieting. I think Mike Hendricks hit the nail pretty square on the head:

Naturally, you can argue that it was impolite, or improper to have a sign of protest on a classroom door, whether it was there for several months (as claimed) or put up especially to incite a reaction.

However, there’s another case to be made, too. That Morris and fellow members of the board’s wing nut coalition deserve to be mocked for what they’ve done to the state’s reputation.

Let’s see, they held a kangaroo court on the merits of evolution, attacked a social studies curriculum because it failed to wave the flag enough, and appointed an education commissioner known to bash public education.

Now this week they again took aim at sex education, on the heels of last month’s vote favoring permission slips before students can take such classes.

Only this time the focus was on forcing schools to require a nine-week course on abstinence.

Yes, quite a list.

And now Connie Morris is offended by a slip of paper on a classroom wall?


Well, you couldn’t ask for a better joke than that.

No comments: