A lot has been written in the Metro section of my preferred newspaper about the Incomprehensible Enormity of Suckitude at the Maryland State MVA recently. Harsh words, but granted, it's not a particularly fun place to be.
Alas, yesterday, it fell unto me to pack up my kids (in the middle of a literal monsoon, nonetheless) and brave The Lines. I prepped JD by likening the MVA to "The Waiting Place", as described by Dr. Suess in "Oh The Places You'll Go!". He understood. He understood perhaps a bit too well.
Because we were Waiting in the first line for well under ten minutes, as people all around us marveled at how "empty" the place was and congratulated themselves and each other for their foresight and brilliance at coming out in said monsoon while everyone else (SUCKAHS!!!) stayed dry at home... we were waiting, and the line was moving, and things honestly weren't so bad. But I do think I may have gone overboard in my "Waiting" pre-game pep-talks. Because he started whining. About the Waiting, you know.
He wasn't obnoxious or anything, but he was Wondering, Out Loud For All To Hear, How Much More Waiting? When It Was Going To Be Our Turn?
In a fit of "Good Mom!" brilliance, I made it into a Game! A Teachable Moment! Let's Count the People in Front of Us! Then it will be Our Turn! (::ahemSHOWOFFahem::) I preened while JD counted and performed other mathematical feats of brilliance, such as adding and subtracting on his fingers. I imagined all moms in the universe looking to me in awe -- I had turned whining into Motherfucking College Prep!-- as I waved and blew double-handed kisses to the masses.
Anyway... I was so lost in my fantasies and self-adulation that I didn't notice a woman, six people ahead of us in line, (and only three people away from being called) whispering to all the people behind her. I was shocked when she tapped my arm and said, "Excuse me? I spoke to all these people, and we would all like for you guys to go ahead of us. We've all been there with the little ones, and we know how hard it is. Go ahead."
I tried to refuse, but they insisted. I ducked under the lane line, fumbling with words, with gratitude at their kindness.
But the best part of the story is, a moment later, a gentleman came up from somewhere farther back in the line. He tapped the lady's arm and said, "Excuse me? I saw what you did for that lady, I saw your act of kindness, and I just wanted to give you this Target gift card, you know, to pay it forward, and to thank you for your act of kindness."
And everybody around smiled and murmured and nodded their heads. It was a truly Great Moment. At the Maryland State MVA.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment