Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Something That Only A Mother (Who Has a Degree with a Concentration in Early Childhood Language Acquisition) Would Love

JD started using the future tense today.

We were riding the metro home from the Building Museum, chit-chatting about all the fun we had had, all the trucks we had pushed, all the blocks we had stacked, and all the tools we had ...what, tooled?... anyway. We were on the metro, chit-chatting about the good times, and then JD said, "As soon we get home, I will eat lunch. I will read new trash truck book. I will get fresh, clean diapey."

And the words rang out like beacons and the Former-Language-Teacher in me snapped to attention. FUTURE TENSE BABY. My son, the two year old genius, is speaking in the future tense. And speaking it well! And I didn't add the emphasis above; he really did work his tongue around each "will", pausing just a bit and hitting it emphatically, like he was really concentrating on what he was saying, like a freshman in Spanish I performing a role-play highlighting shoe-verbs: "Voy a el gimnasio. --jugar, shoe-verb, u to ue-- Juego el basquetbol. --BOO-YAH, I nailed it!-- Donde vas usted?"

I often find myself listening to his language acquisitions through the filter of Chomsky, Krashen, and Canale & Swain, and it astounds me. It's so fucking cool to witness it, and to "get" what's going on w/ him, cognitively and linguistically. ::esposa revels that her degree is not being wasted::

------

In other Riding-Home-On-The-Metro-Today news, shortly thereafter JD had finished detailing his afternoon plans, he sniffed, rubbed his nose, and bellowed, "MOMMY GET BOOGEY OUT JD'S NOSE!" I ducked my head and pretended that I didn't know him.

No comments: