Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"You Are a Female Warthog"

JD and I went to the Zoo today~ it was a lovely (early) morning and we practically had the whole zoo to ourselves. Seriously cool. We spent almost an hour in the small mammal house; it was too much fun to watch JD running, shrieking, laughing, squealing, putting his small toddler hands up to the windows, trying to pat the meerkats, pointing at the tamarins, delighted with the armadillo. I can't quite describe it, but I hope I never forget. I could see it in his eyes, I could see that he was seeing the animals, and he was digging it.

On the way out, we stopped by the cheetah pit. Next to it was a display with a large scale for guests to step on; it gave your weight and related it to an animal upon which a lion, cheetah, or hyena might prey, describing which predator would most likely take you down and how much/how quickly it would eat you up. Hmm. Fun, I guess? Interesting, anyway. I stepped on and learned that I am a female warthog; a meal for a pair of cheetahs or a single male lion. "You are a female warthog", it said. And with that, I decided we had had just about enough Zoo...

No comments: