Monday, October 22, 2007

JDonut

So, I hesitate to write this, in case CPS happens to log on and see exactly what kind of parenting is going on in my home, but whenever Dave gets a chocolate glazed donut from the "complimentary continental breakfast" in our apartment's lobby, he shares it with JD.

There. My dirty secret is out. Yes, I allow my 11 month old to eat chocolate frosted donuts.

I know, I know. We're the adults, we're the parents, there is NO GODLY REASON for a baby to eat a chocolate donut -it barely beats out pork rinds on the scale of nutritionally unsound choices, for Pete's sake. Honey, we're killing the kid.

But you should see the father-son joy that transpires as those two fools sit there chowing down together.

It started innocently enough; one morning as JD sat in his highchair, merrily flinging his whole-grain pancake and banana slices to the floor, Dave plopped down at the table, donut in hand. "What son? Don't like the pancake? Here, try this." And before I could say, "Deep-fried-poly-saturated-trans-fat-clogs-arteries-babies-can't-have-chocolate", Dave had popped a morsel into JD's mouth. The rest is history. What can I say, have you met the kid's mother? He didn't stand a chance on the donut front.

So now, each morning when Dave and Shank return from their morning walk, the front door opens and JD races toward it- as fast as someone who has yet to master the fine art of bending at the knee while walking can go, that is- squealing with expectation. Looking to see if Daddy has A Donut. And Dave sits down on the floor, and JD climbs up into his lap, greedily reaching for his bite. And they sit, and snuggle, and laugh, and share. OK, to be fair, JD really only gets 2 small bites. That's more than plenty.

But the true icing on the donut came today when Dave, instead of breaking a bite off for JD, held the donut up for him so he could take his own bite, right off the donut, like a Big Guy. He didn't think JD could do it. Oh ho, was he wrong. JD lunged in, like Dracula going for a virgin neck, and sunk his choppers right in. He pulled back, smiling through the smeared chocolate and crumbs, triumphant. Dave could not have been more tickled. JD could not have been more tickled. And I figured I could sneak some extra vegetables into JD's dinner to make up for the inauspicious start to the day.

No comments: