Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Groundhog Day Takes a Trecherous Turn

Here's the Groundhog Day bit... midafternoon... walking the dog, pushing the stroller... an elderly, apparently senile gentleman walking his dog in the opposite direction... stops us for a chitty-chat... the conversation ensues as follows:

EASG: Well hello there, what a fine dog! What's his name?
Me: His name is Shank. SHANK. SHANK.
EASG: Shank? Where'd you come up with that name?
Me: My husband plays golf. GOLF. GOLF.
EASG: What kind of dog is he?
Me: He's a Lab Mix. LAB. LAB.
EASG: And what a fine boy! What's his name?
Me: JD. JD. JD.
EASG: And how old is JD?
Me: He's two and a half. TWO AND A HALF. TWO AND A HALF.

Then I makes some compliments to his dog, scratch its ears, and bid them a pleasant day. I actually get a kick out of our encounters, the whole exchange is smiley and pleasant, and I hope when I am elderly, I have a safe neighborhood in which to stroll with my dog and friendly people with whom to have the exact same conversation every time I cross their path. So when I saw them out walking today, I slowed up and smiled at him as they approached. The conversation ensued as follows. You'll see where groundhog day took a trecherous turn:

EASG: Well hello there, what a fine dog! What's his name?
Me: His name is Shank. SHANK. SHANK.
EASG: Shank? Where'd you come up with that name?
Me: My husband plays golf. GOLF. GOLF.
EASG: What kind of dog is he?
Me: He's a Lab Mix. LAB. LAB.
EASG: And what a fine boy! What's his name?
Me: JD. JD. JD.
EASG: JD? (EASG's face has the expression like as if he picked up a cup, expecting it to be full of cool refreshing water, and took a giant gulp, only to find out that it's actually full of warm vinegar instead.) What's that stand for?
Me: John David.
EASG: Well... (EASG's expression turns from the repulsed to the dubious) ...if that's what it stands for... (EASG's gaze lowers to my pregnant belly.) And is that some... (EASG's face shows that he has thought better of his question, and rephases it) ...Are you fat, or is that someone, too?

So funny. God love the elderly.

No comments: